Safety Specialist I - Kiewit Power Constructors District
Requisition ID: 125880
Job Level: Mid Level
Employment Type: Full Time
At Kiewit, one of our guiding principles on every projects and in every office is, “Nobody Gets Hurt” and we’re currently looking for a Safety Specialist I who will create, support and audit our programs which reinforce our commitment to safety.
As a Safety Specialist I, you will report to Project Safety Manager. Your primary responsibilities centers on the successful implementation and support of the Site Specific Safety Plan in the field. You will assist the Project Safety Manager with the application of the contract, client safety expectations, Kiewit's Corporate Safety Manual, Corporate Crane Procedures Manual, District Standards, and all laws governing the work. You will also verify to ensure that work is being executed as planned, problem-solve with operations and craft, assist with corrective measures, and provide resources to correct and maintain solutions.
This position will be located on one of our project sites. Candidate must be open to traveling and relocating as needed.
• Assist in the development, review, updating, and communication of the SSSP to everyone including subcontractors
• Collaborate with the craft every day in the field to encourage buy-in of our safety program and to support craft ownership of the safety program
• Exercise Stop Work Responsibility to ensure adherence to company policies, regulations, work plans, work packs, and detailed work plans
• Plan, prioritize, and problem-solve with operations in the field every day based on leading indicator trends and upcoming work
• Encourage, support, inspire, and advise staff and craft employees to execute the SSSP
• Assist with maintaining project files in compliance with OSHA/MSHA regulations and in compliance with our policies including accident/injury files
• Assist with first aid and maintain relationships with emergency medical services and clinics
• Assist with KieTrac entry, incident investigations, and implementation of effective solution
• Complete a daily documented hazard inspection and assist operations, craft, and subcontractors with implementation of corrective actions
• Review work plans, work packs, and detailed work plans prior to the start of work
• Assist and provide safety training on policies, procedures, OSHA/MSHA, NCCER, SIMS, orientation, and client specific requirements
• 0-2 years of construction safety experience
• First Aid CPR
• The ability to travel and relocate as required
• OSHA 30
• Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Safety, or a related field of study is preferred
• Knowledge of construction safety, current Federal and OSHA requirements
• Certification as a Safety Professional or Emergency Medical Technician is preferred
• Working knowledge of computers and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Strong work ethic - Willing to do what it takes to get the job done
• The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
We believe in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and comply with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.