Project Quality Design Engineer
S&C Electric Company
The person who fills this position will serve the Design Quality lead on new product development projects. Project Quality Engineers work closely with new product development teams to ensure that S&C’s design and manufacturing processes are capable of meeting the requirements of the product’s quality plan. This includes creating and maintaining standards for design and manufacturing quality and ensuring that quality plan elements such as DFMEA, PFMEA, Design for Reliability and Design for Manufacturability and Assembly, are embedded in S&C’s designs and processes.
This position reports to the Assistant Manager – Quality Engineering
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assessing designs, manufacturing, and test processes to ensure that risks are being identified and mitigated.
- Using tools such as DFMEA, DFMA, and drawing reviews to ensure that the designs are robust and will meet the production stability metrics.
- Working closely with the Supplier Quality team and Inspection team to ensure the PPAP process, including technical reviews, are completed per standards and on-time per project schedules
- Communicating key design risks or project risks to steering committees
- Assisting the design engineering team in creating design test plans, and using statistics to determine if the results are statistically significant
- Creating part inspection plans
- Utilizing problem solving skills to find root causes of quality problems.
- Providing quality support for assembly production, by working closely with the Production, Product Engineering, Supplier Quality, and Inspection teams on quality related issues and improvements.
- Developing and maintaining quality standards for S&C’s New Product Development processes.
- Utilizing quality feedback and metrics to implement design improvements.
To select this job as one of interest to you, at a minimum, you must have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or relevant degree.
- Ability to work in a high-tempo environment and interact with team members over a wide scope of the organization.
- Experience with statistical analysis.
- An understanding of various manufacturing methods
- Knowledge of Quality Management systems including ISO 9001.
- Demonstrated expertise in problem solving.
- Knowledge of FMEA, DFMA, statistical capability, design test plans, statistical process control, root cause analysis, and inspection methods.
- Enthusiasm, drive, a sense of urgency, and strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Relevant Work Experience: 6+ years’ experience working in a Quality function, minimum of 3+ years supporting quality within a production operation
MAJOR PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Standing: Frequent time spent on shop floor observing assembly processes.
- Lifting: Occasional light lifting.
- Walking: Occasional walking of moderate distances (1 mile) within the S&C complex.
- Carrying: Occasional carrying of light objects for short distances.
- Bending: Occasional bending.
- Reaching: Occasional reaching.
- Handling: Occasional handling of parts and tools.
- Environment: Consists of time spent both in an office environment and on the production floor.