Chief Data Officer
Leads the Company’s (BCBSA) data vision, strategy and delivery throughout our BCBSA and BCBS partner ecosystem. Envisions and defines our information assets, and develops and executes the strategic roadmap to ensure data is well managed and appropriately available to stakeholders. These stakeholders include a broad coalition of significant healthcare industry partners, including the BCBS Companies, BCBSA internal teams, strategic analytics and delivery partners (e.g., Blue Health Intelligence, Consortium Health Plans) and industry collaborators. Seek to maximize value in the marketplace; transforming data into business value and driving data-driven business change. Anticipates opportunities, proactively implements solutions, and ensures day-to-day operations meet Plans’ and market expectations.
Responsible for data quality, availability, interoperability, and protection of our information across our assets while enabling business outcomes through analytics and integration. Govern data stewardship to promote the appropriate use of enterprise data assets and determine, in partnership with Enterprise Information Technology (EIT) leadership, the tools for data warehousing, meta data repositories, operational data stores, enterprise storage management and analytics platform(s).
Builds and cultivates relationships with industry thought leaders, BCBS Plan senior leadership, analytic vendors, Consortium Health Plans, Blue Health Intelligence, to achieve Plan goals and objectives. Identifies and fosters partnership opportunities with industry leading analytics and data providers. Serves to provide a compelling system-wide vision for data that is compelling, value-driven, and aligned to the values of BCBSA and our BCBS companies in support of our members, providers and employers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Directs the development of the BCBS System and BCBSA’s data, information, and inter-operability strategy and vision to support business priorities and goals that fuel analytics and operations needs of Blue Plans and BCBSA business areas.
- Crafts and communicates strategic roadmaps, in terms meaningful to both business and technology organizations, tying the value from data and analytic investment to tangible business and client outcomes such as cost optimization, improved customer and provider experience.
- Accountable for the execution of the strategic vision and resulting solutions, enterprise-wide data governance, data acquisition, data management, data protections, stewardship policies, process and practices to build out data and business technology.
- Directs market research related to data and technical operational solutions and the development of creative and innovative approaches to address market requirements.
- Directs the assessment of alternate solutions including the analysis of Plan specific and System-wide impacts associated with solutions.
- Leads development and execution of multi-year business plans that addresses current and emerging market demands, BCBS Plan priorities, and enable solutions in the areas for data, analytics, shared solutions, and business applications.
- Partners with our technology teams to define a progressive and market leading technology platform strategy that emphasizes speed to deliver solutions, high availability, timeliness of data integration and delivery, and low administrative cost.
Leadership and Stakeholder Engagement
- Accountable for gaining BCBSA, Plan consensus and governance approval of proposed data solutions, business applications and technology solutions.
- Represent BCBSA at Board Committee meetings and external workgroups and committees. Identify and advocate for solutions that meet Plan business, operational, and technical needs for the BCBSA, BCBS Plans and their customers.
- Represent BCBS interest on industry and Plan sponsored groups.
- Build bridges between our data assets and organizations that hold complementary data assets that when combined with ours can create added value to the Plans. Identify and create strategic partnerships.
- Lead cross-functional teams and stakeholders groups across BCBSA, Plans and other organizations to ensure that BCBSA’s data strategy, assets, policies support Plan priorities and meet market requirements.
- Proactively champion the value of information (data) as a strategic business asset and drive a culture of innovation and experimentation with business leaders, industry, and customers using data insights.
Data Operations and Governance
- Plan and execute an iterative strategy for scaling up the data and analytic organization to maturity.
- Collaborate with Enterprise IT to develop a scalable, resilient, available, and flexible data and information architecture that responds to business’ needs, and enable its efficient, disciplined, and successful execution.
- Create a cycle of platform adoption with improved data insights and streamlined publishing/access.
- Oversee the creation of data models that integrate and organize disparate data systems in preparation for analytics and lead ongoing data enhancements.
- Ensure data requirements are defined, communicated and well understood by impacted upstream and downstream teams breaking down organizational silos.
- Oversee the maintenance of existing capabilities or the delivery of new capabilities including high level of precision, planning, and coordination from the earliest lifecycle from concept through delivered and fully adopted services.
- Lead the development, delivery and on-going management of a successful data governance program. Accountable for BCBSA internal data stewardship and governance, balancing data access and use with the need to protect these strategic data assets, meeting regulatory and legal requirements.
- Ensure data is fit for purpose, usable, available and efficient.
- Measure, monitor, and drive improvements in data accuracy and integrity, data timeliness and data completeness, and reduce data redundancy.
- Identify and measure program goals through key performance metrics, operational SLAs, and market adoption goals.
- Hire, motivate, mentor, supervise, and develop talent, including data stewards, data architects and data analysts, to enhance the organization’s data, data science and analytic capabilities in support of BCBSA and division initiatives.
- Builds a culture to support BCBSA values and leadership competencies and deliver operational excellence and efficiency.
- Oversees revenues and expenses associated with BCBSA data strategy and assets; ensuring programs are delivered within budget and revenue and fee-for-service targets are met.
- Develop and monitor KPIs to measure effectiveness of data and analytic capital and expense spend and ensure investments in people, systems and process enhancements deliver value.
Other Job Functions:
- Participate in and provides strategic direction to key company-wide and cross-BCBSA initiatives and serve as a thought leader, assess implications and engage impacted senior leadership for action.
- Remain current on market and competitive based uses of healthcare data to create value in the industry, including emerging and evolving end user usage models and requirements in Data Management, Business Intelligence and Analytics.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, information technology, data analytics, healthcare or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years of health insurance experience with demonstrated career progression including at least 4 years at the senior level
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in business analytics and/or IT related fields, including at least 5 years of analytic experience relating health care data
- Minimum 10 years of management experience including managing staff and budget
- Minimum 10 years of experience with the development and implementation of major initiatives
- Experience with analytic applications and groupers including health care claims management and billing coding
Preferred Basic Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in business, information technology, data analytics, healthcare or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of analytic experience relating health care data
- Master's Degree